Thursday, September 19, 2013

Finding time for fun

I'm in the middle of my last month of work for the 2013 season with Glacier Guides & Montana Raft Company. Business has slowed down considerably. And less work means time for more play!

We've passed the local tourist peak. The number of visitors to Glacier National Park has noticeably decreased since August; some folks and their kids had to return to school and work. This applies to our staff: quite a few guides and others have left to go back to college or teaching or some other responsibility. The Park has already closed half of its campgrounds, and many tourist-driven businesses in gateway towns around the park -- including my favorite breakfast place and the closest bar -- have already shut down for the year. It's pretty quiet around here.
[FYI: You can click on any of the images below to view a larger version.


bear tracks near Boulder Pass
bear tracks seen last September
September is a wonderful time to be here [click here to see my photos from last September's visit with my pal Geoff]. In addition to smaller crowds, the critters you want to see are active while the biting bugs are mostly gone. The high country is open, Autumn colors are starting to show and the weather is pretty awesome -- a few exciting storms, but mostly pleasant temps and lovely days.

As it happens, I'm writing this update during a rainy spell. A big storm system moved in last night, heralded by lightning and tremendous thunder. Rain continues to fall, collecting to illustrate flaws in my tarp hanging design. I'm glad I don't have to be out in the weather today; by the time it's done, I suspect we'll see a dusting of snow at higher elevations. The cool, wet weather is providing me a good excuse to catch up here.

[Speaking of cool, wet weather: check out a couple of videos I shot of a crazy hail and rainstorm on September 6.]

I've had fewer work assignments recently -- which means I've had some time to play, as have my remaining colleagues. All the trips I do in the Park are cool, but I'm excited to have time for more vigorous and challenging outings than I can do with our guests... or just for something different.

Summits


Believe it or not, Glacier National Park is FULL of mountains! The Park boasts six peaks over 10,000 feet high and 32 peaks over 9,100 feet high -- which is especially cool considering that the lowest point in the Park is about 3,000 feet in elevation and there's a whole lot of terrain below 5,000 feet. The ancient sedimentary rock here is crumbly and doesn't lend itself to much traditional rock climbing with ropes and special gear. The big off-trail thing around here is "scrambling," or using your hands as well as your feet to travel up and across high ridges and peaks.

atop Mount Siyeh
perched on Mount Siyeh

I did just that with a colleague in early August, climbing up Mount Siyeh. It was only the second recreational trip I'd done this summer. It was also my first trip up one of the 10,000+ foot high mountains in the park -- and probably the easiest of them to get up. It was a wonderful trip with tremendous 360-degree views, and it felt good to get off trail for a change. Click here to check out the spectacular scenery and dramatically steep cliffs!


Mormon cricket on Elk Mountain
Next up: Elk Mountain. I did this with another guide on the last day of August. This hike is technically on trail, but it was surprisingly steep and uncrowded. The trailhead is obscure and little-known -- more of a locals destination. It's in the southern end of the national park, far from the crowds. There is a trail, but it dispenses with the comfortable switchbacks found in most of the national park, electing instead for direct steepness (3,400 feet up in 3 miles). The rewards: great exercise, sweeping views of the southern end of the Park as well as the Bob Marshall Wilderness to the south, and we saw NO other people all day! Click here to check out my photos.

atop Bearhat Mountain
sexy people atop Bearhat Mountain
On September 1st, I headed right back out again for a challenging scramble up Bearhat Mountain. This peak is oft photographed by the thousands of tourists who hike to the Hidden Lake overlook and snap a photo of the lake and the nifty peak behind it. I've photographed it many times myself on previous visits (such as here and here). But not many folks go up it. Our plucky crew hiked down to Hidden Lake, and then proceeded to find our way to the visible summit ridge of Bearhat. It was an exciting achievement and a stunning perspective, as you can see if you click here to look at my photos.


Visitors


posing at Two Medicine Lake
at Two Medicine Lake
In mid-August my friends Max and Tiff came to Glacier for a visit. It was wonderful to see them, and I have to give them credit for diving right in! The moment they arrived I drug them out on a spontaneous "animal float" (click here for a bit of fun footage). Having survived that, they took on a couple of ambitious hikes while I was working. On my day off we hustled up to Scenic Point together. I've enjoyed several trips up to this perch on the tippy eastern edge of the Rockies in the Two Medicine area of the national park. It remains one of my favorite places, and I'm thrilled I could share it with my friends. Click here to check it out for yourself and see Tiff and Max in action.



Lazy Mountain Triathlon


Sure, I've gotten in a lot of hiking this summer. But there are other fun ways to get around.

my bike in the North Fork
 
My poor bicycle spent most of the summer leaning lonely against a tree next to my tent. I finally washed the dust and pine pollen off the poor machine and took it out for a couple of good rides. I was delighted to discover the route from camp to West Glacier and over the Camas Road in Glacier National Park to the North Fork Flathead River. It's a wonderful ride that delivers good exercise, a wide paved surface and relatively little traffic. Good stuff. Click here to see a few photos, and click here to see a map of the route.




at Iceberg Lake
Refreshing!
What's summer without a swim in near-freezing water? I made many trips to the scenic and popular Iceberg Lake this season. On a couple of sunny and warmer days I took a dip in between the floating blocks of snow. I can confirm that: (1) the water is indeed "invigorating," and it really does feel good after you get out; (2) crawling up onto one of the "icebergs" will get your body out of the frigid water but won't make your bare feet feel any less cold; and (3) even though just about everyone thinks it's crazy, if you jump in and show great enthusiasm at least one other person in your group will probably change their mind and give it a go. [You can find a few more photos from this swim session in this online set.]
boating on Whitefish Lake
I also got to check out Whitefish Lake recently from a comfy seat on a vintage motor boat. The lake is in a lovely setting, as is the town of Whitefish, Montana. We cruised around for a while, enjoying views of the nearby Big Mountain ski resort as well as hills and mountains in all directions. I'm sure this lake is crawling with recreationists in the summer, but it was surprisingly quiet out there last week.

[I can neither confirm nor deny rumors about me attempting to ride a single water ski behind the old vessel...]



The fun will continue. I've only got a couple of days scheduled for my last two weeks here. So I should have a few more adventures to report on before I depart this place for the next chapter.

Until then, keep leapin'!
on Bearhat Mountain
Bearhat Mountain summit. In case you can't tell, I'm second from the left.  (Photo by Dre Cameron)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment